I find myself reading more "corporate" blogs (those associated with a company and not a single person) now than I thought I might a year or two ago. And, sadly, most of them suck.
Among the sins they commit are:
- sucking the humanity out of blogging--or, even worse, faking humanity in formulaic and predictable ways (often the result of too much PR or Marketing influence)
- writing only to draw attention to themselves (again, PR and Marketing)
- writing only when they need to announce something (again)
- not allowing comments
- infrequent posting
But rather than name the big offenders, I figured it'd be more useful to highlight those I think are doing a fantastic job. In my mind, two of the best are the Zillow Blog and the Garmin Blog. Our own YPN Blog is a runner up in my mind, but I'm really too close to it to be unbiased.
What do I like about these blogs?
- there's some personality in the writing
- they write about stuff that's interesting to me (or they write it in an interesting way, and that gets my attention)
- they post frequently
- they write about stuff that's not always blatantly self-promotional
Do you have favorite corporate blogs that you subscribe to or visit on a regular basis? What are they? Why?
Posted by jzawodn at November 29, 2006 06:35 AM