In the process of checking the spelling on the previous posting, the spell checker in w.bloggar tried to "correct" me in a rather amusing way:

Maybe it thinks my colocated servers are crap?

Either way, that we me on the floor laughing for a few minutes. These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Posted by jzawodn at February 14, 2005 06:49 PM

Reader Comments
# Satya said:

Probably should use "co-located".

on February 14, 2005 07:09 PM
# Mike said:

> Maybe it thinks my colocated servers are crap?

Or they're trying to bend you over.

on February 14, 2005 07:13 PM
# Ed Maas said:

I noticed that a few weeks ago. It is really a pitiful spell checker.

on February 14, 2005 09:52 PM
# dan isaacs said:

Outlook thinks my co-worker Ritch should be "Retch".

on February 15, 2005 05:48 AM
# genghis said:

used to work with a guy whose name the MS spellcheckers used to try to change to "Lechery." it was fitting.

on February 15, 2005 05:51 AM
# Artem Frolov said:

I am certainly the last person to make that point (English is not my native), but I believe it should be spelled "collocation". Webster is on my side.

on February 15, 2005 06:53 AM
# kpower said:

Artem, the term co-location is a technical term, for which Webster has no definition. Try this page:


on February 15, 2005 12:48 PM
# said:

"co" is a prefix. In the nominative form, it indicates one which acts with another. This creates words like "copilot," or "coworker." I suppose it would be correct to use "colocation" to indicate a location where two or more things are located despite the fact it is not specifically listed in a dictionary.

A hyphen is not needed unless the word that the prefix is used with begins with "o." This forms words such as "co-organizer," or "co-owner."

"Collocate" can be a transitive verb that means to "put" or "place;" especially to put side by side.

"colocate" is also a transitive verb. It means to place two or more things together in a common facility.

on February 16, 2005 01:05 AM
# Ballenger Motorsports said:

I thought I had gotten used to writing technical (engineering) papers in MS Word and dealing with the odd suggestions but I recently had my computer fighting itself between programs. MS thinks that "upgradable" is the wrong way and suggests "upgradeable". I ran into this misspelling while creating a brochure in Adobe Indesign. So when I take the same text back to Indesign, Adobe swaps it back around. I wonder how many instances there are of Adobe spelling vs. MS spelling? ;-)

on February 22, 2005 12:17 PM
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. My current, past, or previous employers are not responsible for what I write here, the comments left by others, or the photos I may share. If you have questions, please contact me. Also, I am not a journalist or reporter. Don't "pitch" me.


Privacy: I do not share or publish the email addresses or IP addresses of anyone posting a comment here without consent. However, I do reserve the right to remove comments that are spammy, off-topic, or otherwise unsuitable based on my comment policy. In a few cases, I may leave spammy comments but remove any URLs they contain.