Jeremy's Home arrow.gif (844 bytes) Japan Trip arrow.gif (844 bytes) Travel Log arrow.gif (844 bytes) Day #13

Day #13 - Tuesday, July 6th, 1999

Heading Home


We got up early. Really early.

We had to get to the New Sanno Hotel to catch our bus to the airport. The bus left at something like 6:50am, and it takes about an hour or so to get to the hotel from Aaron & Kristin's place. you do the math.

Airport or Mall?

We made it to the airport with about two hours to kill. So we headed to the mall in the airport to find something to eat. Yes, there's actually a mall inside Tokyo's Narita Airport. It's a big airport.

Unfortunately, we spent a little too long wandering the mall after breakfast, 'cause we got to our plane just a few minutes before they finished boarding. We had to do a bit of power walking and/or jogging to make it there. We didn't want to hear the dreaded "This is the final call for Northwest Airlines flight 86 to Detroit" message on the PA. That would have been bad.

The Return Is Always Faster...

Luckily for me, Aaron & Kristin let me borrow their portable CD player for the flight back. I had lots of batteries and several CDs, to the trip back seemed to go rather quickly. We had a bit of turbulence to deal with, but it wasn't bad. When it was all said and done, we made it back to Detroit over an hour ahead of schedule. Apparently the Jet Stream helped us on the return.

Customs Is Closed

We got back so early that we had to sit at the gate (on the plane) for over a half hour and do nothing. If the customs folks haven't made it to work yet, we're not allowed off the plane. What a pain in the ass that was.

Must... Stay... Awake.

After we made it past customs and immigration, Kacky headed for her connecting flight to Grand Rapids, and Scott & I headed back to Toledo. My Mom was already there, so we didn't even have to wait around.

After we made it back to Findlay and Scott headed back to Columbus, I was faced with the prospect of keeping myself awake. We had left Tokyo at about 10:00am. By the time I got back to Findlay, I had been awake for close to 24 hours already. My goal was to stay up until about 8:00pm and then just go to bed and get up for work the next day.

That didn't quite work. I took a nap around 4:00pm that lasted close to 4 hours.

Copyright 1999, Jeremy D. Zawodny <>
Last modified: Sat Jul 17 15:26:20 EDT 1999