If you use the Sphinx search engine and have been watching the development branch (0.9.10) and wondering when to upgrade, I'm here to tell you that "now" is a great time. As of r2037, the last major issue I regularly saw has been fixed. The other big bug was fixed in r2031.
Late last week I began testing those fixes in a "burn-in" test I've developed that makes liberal use of
indextool --check. Instead of seeing index corruption within an hour, I saw none. After 3 days of no failures, I deployed it to a subset of our search back-end servers. Yesterday we deployed it to half of the remaining servers.
So far, so good!
I should note that all our index corruption was merge related. Sphinx wasn't building corrupt indexes out of the box, but the merges (usually filtering merges) could produce corrupted indexes.
We were upgrading from a lightly patched version of r1894. That meant rebuilding our indexes to use the new and more compact format. Some of the obvious benefits of the upgrade:
- smaller disk and memory footprint
- pre-fork support to spawn searchd children at start up
- more reliable shutdown and pid file handling
- kill lists
- mysql protocol support
- lots of small optimizations and fixes
Thanks to the Sphinx team for their excellent work. I look forward to the release of Sphinx 1.0.
Posted by jzawodn at October 30, 2009 07:26 AM