Earlier today I was digging in some referral stats and ran across the Worst Search Results Page Ever. And, no, this is not about MSN, Ask, Google, or even Yahoo.
Witness the results of a SlashMySearch.com video search for "zawodny" (because you never know when those secret videos are going to leak onto the vast interwebs):
Now before you click that image to get the full-sized version, it probably looks sort of reasonable, right? From a distance it does.
Now go ahead and look more closely. See if you notice the following things:
- It's very difficult to tell the difference between the advertisements (I mean "sponsored links") and the organic links because they're all on a white background. Most respectable search engines try to provide some very obvious visual clue that the paid links are different.
- The "BLACK HAT SEARCH TRAFFIC?" advertisement just below the "Also Try" line is classy. Really classy. I mean, who doesn't want a search engine CLOAKER that delivers top rankings?!?!?!?!?!
- The message in the middle of the page that tells you there were 0 results found is partially overwritten by an advertisement on the right side.
- Wait a minute! If there were no [organic] results found, that means THE WHOLE FREAKING PAGE IS FULL OF ADVERTISEMENTS.
- The main ads all feature images on the left, a tactic explicitly banned by Google because it tricks users into clicking advertisements.
But that's just me. I'm sure I missed a few things.
What can you spot?
Posted by jzawodn at March 26, 2007 08:41 PM