In 1995 I first tried on a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. I was working as a full-time Unix sysadmin (for co-op credit) in the Department of Computer Science at BGSU and my supervisor had a pair that he loaned me for a day. I was so impressed that I bought a pair the next day and it's still the only model of full-sized headphones that I buy.
The price has come down quite a bit since then. They can be had on Yahoo Shopping for less than $75 in a few stores. If you try Amazon, you'll find that they're currently not in stock (and seem not to be most of the time).
A few weeks ago I ordered two more of these. I wanted a newer pair for work and a pair for home as well. The ones I had at work were showing their nearly 10 years of age but still sounded excellent.
What's to Like?
- foam padded earpieces that cover your whole ear and block out ambient noise
- padded headpiece
- 1/4" stereo adaptor included
- excellent frequency response (the highs are clear and the lows are powerful)
- the size adjustment mechanism works well and holds up over time
- very long cord that never seems to lose its spring
If you're in the market for a set of full-size stereo headphones, I highly recommend the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. It's a proven design that's been on the market for at least 9 years now.
I'm seriously considering another pair just to have on hand 10 years from now when I need a replacement.
Posted by jzawodn at January 15, 2005 01:23 AM