Ross provides his simple recommendations for the annual family tech support ritual otherwise known as the end of year holidays. In summary:
- Get 'em a Mac with OS X on it
- Get 'em broadband: it's fast and nearly always on
- Get 'em Firefox, 'cause IE is bad for your security
- Get 'em a good start page like My Yahoo or Google
- Get 'em on Web Mail like Yahoo Mail or GMail
- Get 'em on Flickr if they want to share photos
- Get 'em on Instant Messenger (I'd recommend AIM or Yahoo Messenger) and/or Skype
- Don't get 'em a blog
I mostly agree. I know that #1 is tricky and just won't fly in a lot of situations, but everything else applies nicely to a Windows box as well.
With that said, I'm off to setup my Dad's Linux machines. (Knoppix makes this pretty easy.)
See Also: How to fix Mom's computer.
Posted by jzawodn at December 28, 2004 10:44 AM