I took some time this afternoon to fill out the necessary paperwork and headed over to the FAA's San Jose Flight Standards District Office. Of course, I had to make a phone appointment because they keep the doors locked. You never know when a terrorist might walk in and try to fill out some paperwork. Or something like that.

Anyway, I met Matt (the FAA guy helping me out), he checked my ID and we headed upstairs. Once we got to the front desk, he checked my ID again and filled out a log book that said I was there, etc.

Once all the security bullshit was done, we went over the form and he gave it someone else to process. Meanwhile we chatted for a few minutes about gliders and stuff. Apparently the guy who was there before me was also a Hollister Gliding Club student there to get his certificate too.

All in all, I spent just about as much time on "security" as we did doing "real paperwork." But now I'm in possession of a piece of paper that says I can solo a glider when my instructor gives me permission to do so. It's valid for the next 2 years, but I really have no intention of going that long before I get a license.


Posted by jzawodn at January 10, 2003 06:27 PM

Reader Comments
# Matt said:

I really want my student pilot license but I am only 14 years old, can I still get my student pilot license, but not for gliders?

on June 18, 2003 06:17 PM
# Jeremy Zawodny said:

You can get a student license at 14, yes. You can even solor at 14, I believe. You just can't get a real license until you're 16.

on June 18, 2003 09:32 PM
# Danny said:

you can't solo until you are 16, therefore there is no reason to get your student pilot certificate until you are 16, also you can't receive your license until you are 17.

on July 2, 2003 03:08 PM
# Bradley said:

So when I pass the test for my student pilot license, I will not recieve it until I am 17?

on June 27, 2006 02:24 PM
# Jeremy Zawodny said:

It depends on the rating. I was working on a glider rating then, not single engine. The ages for glider ratings are lower (14 solo, 16 license).

on June 27, 2006 02:31 PM
# Alec James Brock said:

You don't have to take a test to receive a 3rd class medical cert. and student pilot cert. All you have to do is pass an AME (physical) then you can receive your license. You can get a SPC at any age, but you may not fly solo until you have reached the age of 16 years, and you may not take the FAA Pilot Certification test until you are 17 years of age, at which point you may receive a Pilot Certificate.

on December 6, 2008 02:18 PM
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. My current, past, or previous employers are not responsible for what I write here, the comments left by others, or the photos I may share. If you have questions, please contact me. Also, I am not a journalist or reporter. Don't "pitch" me.


Privacy: I do not share or publish the email addresses or IP addresses of anyone posting a comment here without consent. However, I do reserve the right to remove comments that are spammy, off-topic, or otherwise unsuitable based on my comment policy. In a few cases, I may leave spammy comments but remove any URLs they contain.