Wanted: Web Discussion Board Software That Doesn't Suck (and groks RSS)
I'm looking for high quality web discussion board software. A lot
of what I've seen so far sucks in one way or another. Here's my wish
- Open Source
- Written in Perl or PHP (not an absolute requirement, but it'd be
- Look and feel controlled via CSS, not a horrid mess of tables and
- Avatar support
- A built-in simple registration system
- Good RSS support. This is a deal breaker if it's not there. I'm
sick and tired of discussion software that doesn't output RSS. I have
no time to visit every forum I care about on a daily basis. Computers
should make my life easier, dammit! I want a feed per-thread, a feed
of new posts, and a feed per-board. Bonus points for full posts in
RSS rather than just summaries.
- Uses MySQL as the back-end database
- Does anyone have this one? Integration with PayPal. I'd like the
ability to have forums that are not free. Given PayPal's cool API, this
shouldn't be hard to do but I don't know if anyone has done it yet.
Processing payments by hand is so lame.
- E-mail integration. A user should be able to say "notify me via
e-mail if someone responds to my post."
There's probably other stuff I'd like to have too, but those are
probably the major points.
If you know of anything that qualifies (or comes close), I'd love
to hear about it. Bonus points if you can point me at an on-line
community that's already using it.
I'll update this post if I've realized I've forgotten something
significant or said something dumb.
Posted by jzawodn at 07:26 PM